RIDE THE RIDEAU
WAIVER, RELEASE & INDEMNITY
In consideration of being permitted to participate in Ride the Rideau (the “Event”) hosted by The Ottawa Hospital Foundation (herein called the “TOHF”),
- I understand, acknowledge and agree that:
- the sport of cycling can be dangerous, exposing participants to many risks and hazards, some of which are inherent in the very nature of the sport itself, others which result from human error and negligence on the part of the persons involved in preparing, organizing and staging the Event (the risks include, without limitation, those caused by terrain, facilities, temperature, weather, condition of roads and highways, condition of participants, equipment, vehicular traffic, actions of other participants, volunteers, spectators and/or producers of the Event and lack of hydration);
- as a result of these risks and hazards, I, as a participant, may suffer serious bodily injury, including permanent disability, paralysis and even death, as well as theft, property loss (collectively, the “Injuries”);
- some of these risks and hazards are foreseeable, but others are not;
- it is my sole responsibility to be familiar with the Event course, agenda, rules and regulations and agree to comply with all such rules and regulations;
- the sole responsibility for my personal safety remains with me, including my physical and emotional preparation and fitness to participate in the Event and that, accordingly, my preparation for, and participation in the Event shall be entirely at my own risk. I accept responsibility for the condition and adequacy of my equipment and any equipment provided for my use and my conduct in connection with the Event;
- the Event will be conducted over public roads and facilities open to the public during the Event and upon which the hazards of travelling are to be expected;
- I will remove myself from participation in the Event if I sense or observe any unusual hazard or unsafe condition, or if, at any time, I feel unable or unfit to safely continue for any reason; and
- none of the Organizers assume any responsibility whatsoever for my safety during my preparation for or participation in the Event.
- I freely and voluntarily assume the Injuries, and all others arising from the Event, even if arising from the negligence, gross negligence or negligent rescue by those associated in any way with the Event, the venue at which the Event takes place or by TOHF, and those organizing, officiating or participating in the Event, including their respective administrators, directors, agents, officers, members, partners, volunteers, advertisers, sponsors, servants and representatives (collectively, the “Organizers”).
- I hereby represent that I:
- understand the nature of the Event;
- am at least 18 years of age; and
- qualified, in good health and in proper physical condition to participate in the Event. I have no physical or medical condition that would endanger myself or others if I participate in the Event or would interfere with my ability to safely participate in the Event.
- I will obey all applicable traffic laws of the Province of Ontario and wear a helmet which satisfies the requirements of the Event’s rules and regulations and that can protect against serious head injuries. I assume all responsibility and liability for the selection of such helmet.
- For myself, my heirs, executors, administrators, legal representatives, assignees and successors (collectively, the “Successors”), I do hereby:
- waive, release, discharge and promise not to sue the Organizers and all provincial and municipal entities responsible for the maintenance of the public roadways subject to the Event (also deemed to be Organizers), from any and all rights and claims, including claims arising from the Organizers’ own negligence, which I have or which may hereafter accrue to me and from any and all damages which may be sustained by me; and
- agree to indemnify and save harmless the Organizers from all expenses, fees, liabilities, damages or other costs of any type whatsoever, directly or indirectly in connection with, or arising out of, my participation in or association with the Event, or travel to or return from the Event.
- I hereby consent to receive medical treatment which may be deemed advisable in the event of injury, accident and/or illness during the Event.
- I understand that I may be photographed at this Event. I hereby agree to allow my photo, video or film likeness to be used for any legitimate purpose by TOHF, its event organizers, producers, sponsors and assigns.
I have carefully read and understood this waiver, release and indemnity and I am freely and voluntarily accepting the same. I am aware that by accepting below, I am waiving substantial legal rights (on my behalf and on behalf of my Successors).